1. Manuka Health New Zealand Limited (we, us or our) is a leading New Zealand natural health company and we manufacture and sell New Zealand bee products in a range of countries.
2. In operating our business, we collect, store, process, use and disclose personal information belonging to a range of people, including our customers and suppliers (you or your). Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (Personal Information). We are committed to protecting your personal information and meeting our privacy obligations at law, including in accordance with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (Privacy Act).
(a) the Manuka Health website at www.manukahealth.co.nz (Website), and any websites or applications operated by us;
(b) our social media sites and applications such as Facebook, Instagram and our Website;
(c) when you purchase our products from us through our Website, customer service team or any other method; or
(d) when you otherwise interact with us.
The types of information we collect
7. We may obtain a wide range of Personal Information from you as a result of your use of the Website, or when you otherwise interact with us.
8. The Personal Information we collect includes but is not limited to:
(a) your name, email address, delivery address, phone number and/or other contact details if you provide these to us;
(b) your personal preferences of products you have looked at on the Website or orders of products you have made from the Website;
(c) your payment information, such as your credit card or billing details, if you make an order from the Website or through our customer service representatives;
(d) your current location when you use our Website;
(e) information about your use of the Website, including the time you use or visit the Website, how long you use the Website for and what pages you view within the Website;
(f) information about the device you use to access the Website, including your IP address and information about your device;
(g) survey information and spend data for our loyalty programmes; and
(h) any other personal information you otherwise provide to us.
9. The Personal Information we collect may be collected in a number of ways including but not limited to:
(a) when you browse our Website, make enquiries or place orders for our products;
(b) when you email us or send us messages via our Website, email or our social media sites and applications;
(c) when you phone us, as telephone conversations with our staff may be recorded;
(d) when you complete surveys or questionnaires about us or our products;
(e) when you provide a product or service to us or otherwise work for or with us;
(f) when you enter any promotions or competitions run by us; and
(g) in face-to-face meetings with you or at events or conferences.
How we use the Personal Information we collect
10. We may use your Personal Information for a variety of reasons and purposes including but not limited to:
(a) responding to your enquiries about us or our products;
(b) taking orders for our products from you and fulfilling those orders;
(c) measuring, managing, monitoring, developing and improving our Website;
(d) contacting you about the Website, any orders you make, or products you may be interested in;
(e) sending you promotions or special offers from us that we think you may be interested in, including sending electronic messages such as text messages and emails;
(f) preparing and using data about interest in our products; and
(g) doing anything else required or permitted by laws, rules or regulations in New Zealand or overseas, including the Privacy Act.
(a) better understand your preferences, including for our products, so that we may enhance your online experience by presenting you with content that is relevant to you;
(b) improve our products and services; and
(c) monitor the use of our website, including collecting data on web traffic and activity, to operate it more efficiently and functionally.
Who we disclose Personal Information to
13. We may store your Personal Information on computer systems operated by third parties. We will take reasonable precautions against unauthorised access and disclosure by those third parties.
14. We may also share your Personal Information with third parties for a range of reasons including:
(a) managing and operating our Website;
(b) taking and fulfilling orders made by you for our products;
(c) marketing or advertising our products to you;
(d) conducting surveys about our products and our business;
(e) to enable those third parties to provide services to us in connection with the Website, our advertising or to operate our business;
(f) to improve our operations, products and services;
(g) when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
(h) if we are selling, assigning or transferring any of our assets or business;
(i) if the third party is one of our related companies;
(k) where we are permitted to do so under the Privacy Act.
Transferring Personal Information outside New Zealand
Security of your Personal Information
17. We take reasonable precautions to make sure that we keep your Personal Information secure. However, because the internet is an open network, we cannot warrant or guarantee that your Personal Information is safe from unauthorised access or use.
What we do if there is a privacy breach relating to your Personal Information
19. If we believe that there has been a privacy breach involving your personal information, we will identify the issue and take steps to minimise any harm.
20. If we believe that the breach has caused, or is likely to cause, serious harm, we will contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner. If appropriate, we will also contact you and anyone else affected by this privacy breach.
21. If you believe there may have been a privacy breach, please contact us as soon as possible.
Communications with you
22. We will send you emails throughout the ordering and purchasing process.
23. We will send out promotional material in our newsletters promoting material related to our company and our business. We use email as a means of receiving feedback from you, and we encourage you to email us with your questions or comments.
24. We will preserve the content of any email you send us if we believe we have the legal requirement to do so. Your email message content may be monitored by us for trouble shooting or maintenance purposes or if any form of email abuse is suspected.
25. From time to time we may send you, and you agree to receive, emails and other promotions relating to services or goods offered by us and our related companies, partners and customers.
26. You may opt out of receiving those emails and other promotions at any time by following the opt-out instructions provided in the relevant communication.
Accessing or correcting your Personal Information
27. You may request access to your Personal Information that is held by us at any time.
28. If you believe any of your Personal Information is incorrect or inaccurate you may request us to correct it at any time.
31. The Website may contain links to third party websites or applications. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of third party websites or applications.
What about if you're in Europe?
Addendum – European Union General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR")
33. Manuka Health New Zealand Limited is a data controller for our Website, services provided through the Website, and all other services provided by us.
34. If you are in a country that is a member of the EEA, you have the following additional rights in relation to your Personal Data held by us:
(a) Right to erasure of your information: you have, in certain circumstances, the right to request that the Personal Data that we collect from you is erased. If we refuse any request you make in relation to this right, we will tell you why in writing and how you can make a complaint about our decision.
(b) Right to object to or restrict processing of your information: you may request that further processing of your Personal Data is restricted in certain circumstances, including while we investigate your concerns with this information.
(c) Right to object to data processing and right to data portability: you have in certain circumstances the right to request that the further processing of your information is restricted or to object to its processing and the right to data portability (to receive and have transferred the information provided). If we refuse any request you make in relation to this right, we will write to you to explain why and how you can make a complaint about our decision.
(d) Right to withdraw consent: you may withdraw consent where provided or object to the further processing of your Personal Data under certain circumstances. If we refuse any request you make in relation to this right, we will write to you to explain why and how you can make a complaint about our decision. The withdrawal of your consent will not affect the processing of your information that you had consented to.
Contacting us about privacy
36. If you have a complaint and feel that this has not been resolved by us to your satisfaction, you may take your complaint directly to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner in New Zealand (contact details below), or otherwise to the relevant data protection authority (for example in the place you reside or where you believe we have breached your rights). You are not required to let us try to resolve your complaint first before escalating this further.
37. Office of the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner:
Last updated 30 November 2020